I am Walter and this is my World.

I am Walter and this is my World.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

miracle

This is Walter sleeping after our landmark trip to the vet yesterday. I have yet to snap him in therapy down here...we do alot and I never seem to have my camera ready. I need a third arm or a personal assistant. Maybe just a roving reporter to follow us.

So I've been writing about relaxing and palm trees since we got here, but what I've not said so much about is the AWESOME vet we found down here. Dr. G is amazing. She specializes in not only veterinary medicine (studied in Switzerland/Hong kong)but she also does accupuncture therapy and therapeutic massage. (There is a miracle here...it's coming after this initial set up...)

Dr G. met Walter when we first got here (bedraggled and road worn) and mapped out the nerve growth in his foot. She was able to pinpoint just where the nerve endings were, what was missing and had to grow and what was possibly already growing. (You may remember from the prognosis after the accident that while we all hope the nerves in his damaged foot will regrow so he can walk again one day without the shoe, nobody could say for sure. It's sort of up to the nerves.)

Thank God for Dr. Julia and the staff at TC rehab, because they were the only ones who did not give up on him. His primary vet in Mpls pretty much gave up on him, as did most "traditional" vets. But because of Dr. Julias work, and the shoes they designed for him, Walter just may walk again! Everyone, including Dr G. says the shoe is 100% essential as the nerves, when they grow, will follow to meet the demand the foot is asking of them, so the foot must be held correctly if the nerves are to grow correctly. tough when Wally can't feel his foot and drags it around like a dead fish!

One big problem is keeping his poor dead-fish foot in tact while being munched in a shoe all day. He gets sore spots, smooshed toes, basically everything that would happen to you if you had to wear a pair of high heels that pinched all day, every day. His toes were getting swollen, cysts were forming between them and I didn't even know for sure if any of this nerve-growth was happening. Getting out of the snow and ice allowed his open wounds to heal (cut them on the ice, skin got soaked in the slush, tore easily etc...) Now being in the warm weather has allowed us to resume walking. Key, key key to his healing!

Dr G. prescribed soaking wally's tootsies in Epsom salts every night, which helped big time with swelling. Then she taught me how to give his legs, toes and feet deep massage (which I'm to do every morning to "wake his feet up" and each evening to stretch them out/soothe them) and she began accupuncture and infrared laser surgery on him. (We had accupuncture at TC rehab too.)

I've been so busy enjoying myself, I was not prepared for what happened yesterday. I took walter in for accupuncture, and set him down. I took off his shoe so Dr. G could have a look at him. She was across the room (big lovely room with lots of Chinese art/furniture) so naturally Wally went over to her. But here's the thing.

HE WALKED ACROSS THE ROOM WITHOUT HIS SHOE.

Fifteen paces or more, normally, like any dog - holding his foot perfectly. I stared as though seeing a mirage. A hallucination. "Did you see that?" I whispered to Dr. G. She nodded and whispered "Yes I did." Walter sat down by now, because his foot was tired from just that little bit of walking and when he stood again, he knuckled like he always does, but it is still an incredible breakthru.

Dr. G. continued with the session but my mind was reeling. I have not seen him walk in EIGHT MONTHS. Her theory is this little bits of unassisted walking will grow over time. She told me he's going to wear the shoe for a long, long time still. a year or more...but the nerves ARE growing my dear, dear friends! THAT MEANS WALTER HAS A CHANCE - A VERY SERIOUSLY REAL CHANCE - OF WALKING AGAIN!!!!!!

I think all this rest, relaxation, increased accupuncture and massage built on the solid foundation of Dr Julia's work with water therapy and designing his shoe - it's finally pushed us into the NEXT LEVEL of healing. All this of course in wrapped up in the amazing love you all send us, and how we need it and use it! You all know I wouldn't be here without you. What can we ever do to repay the world and pug lover community, which has so completely risen to meet us?

I know! I will have a margarita tonight in your honor! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

31 comments:

Kelly said...

Well, it's official, I am crying.

I cry everytime I am reminded that our Wally is a fighter and continues to BEAT ALL ODDS!!!

Raise your hand if you think it may have something to do with his wonderful momma who refuses to accept a negative prognosis and continues to seek out the absolute best care for him!?!?

* Pearl raises all 4 paws *

We should ALL have an advocate like you, Heather!! Sending congratulatory hugs to you and a tiny gentle smooch to Walter's tootsies.

Love,
Pearl

Bubba T Pug said...

You have my mommy crying tears of happiness for you and Walter. Remember though that you were the 1st one never to give on Walter. Enjoy the warm sun and kiss Walter for my mommy ( YUCK - She is not suppose to kiss anyone but ME).

Allie said...

Ahhhh this post made me all teary at work! I know you and Mr. Walter have a long road to go still, but this has to just be an amazing feeling for you to see this progress. He is so blessed to have a Mama like you - you are amazing!

Page said...

So, so wonderful!! Yea for Wally! And for one devoted and loving momma!!

Archie and Melissa said...

ohhhh! yayayayayayay!

happy tears! happy tears!

oh heather and walter we are so happy for you both!

walter is a true miracle puggy!
xoxoxoxo
m & e

Brutus, Ellie, Pippa and Otto said...

OMG!!!! That is incredible news!!! We are doing a happy dance over here for you and Walter!! He is truly a miracle :)

Mom says she loves Margaritas too and will have one tonight in Walter's honor :)

Pugs & Kisses,

Yoda & Brutus

Sequoia & Petunia & Emma said...

This is so awsome and we hope his little feet enjoy your daily massages! Cute.

Anonymous said...

OMG THAT IS AMAZING!!!! I am so happy and relieved and overjoyed that Walter is getting better and his nerves are healing and that he walked!

I am also over the moon that you found a great new vet in florida!!!

Enjoy that margarita, hell have two :)

Stubby said...

Hi Heather & Wally! This is great news! Isn't it amazing what we find no matter where we go? Doctors who care, who will take the time to nuture us back to health. Wally will walk again and we can't wait to see it!

Wally is doing great because you never gave up on him and neither did we. Of course the sun and warm weather don't hurt either. The love you have shown for him tells the world that he can be whole again and that you're going to do everything in your power to see to it that he is.

Stay safe. Big pug hugs to you guys.

Stubby xoxo

MJ said...

Oh Walter!!!! I am so proud of your fifteen steps, and so joyful for your mom. She has been through and done so much for you and and I don't know if you will ever truly realize what those little steps must mean to her. You keep it up Wally and enjoy the sunshine and the walks and the palm trees. And Miss Heather, you go have two of those margaritas 'cause this is truly a momentous day.

love you both.

~Wilbur

Manda Girl said...

OMG - I'm BAWLING reading this!! I am SO happy, excited, ELIGHTED about what Walter has accomplished and how things have worked out. There truly are miracles and fate guiding us to where we need to be!!!! BIG KISSES to you and Walter!!

Stacy Walker said...

Such great news Heather! YAY

Harry Pugalicious said...

That is such wonderful, happy news! I'm so happy for Walter and you. I may have a margarita tonight to celebrate Walter's miracle :-) Cheers!

BRUTUS said...

What fantastic news! I can only imagine how your heart leapt while you head was swimming at the sight of Wally walking!! Surely a sign of more good things to come. How amazing that you have at your disposal the healing wonders of accupuncture AND laser therapy. I love the thought of ancient medicine paired with the most modern kind. Many dentists have started to use lasers (including myself), as I believe we have only begun to understand the things they are capable of. A laser is almost like a real-life magic wand, including stimulative and healing "powers". I think you and Wally were most certainly meant to end up where you are! We'll look forward to more amazing updates!

Michelle & Brutus

Wilma said...

Walter,
I just recently started following your amazing story.This new development has brought a tear to my eye.(and I don't like to let anyone see me get emotional) It is surely a miracle what you did, but it was facilitated by all of the angels in your life. I know you will someday run in the grass with all four paws feeling the dewey blades. Keepup the good work.

Nettie said...

I am so happy for you Walter!! You couldn't be in a more perfect spot to do your healing! Enjoy that wonderful grass on toes feeling'

SpencerBartholomew said...

Walter, overjoyed with your will to overcome the odds. You certainly are a miracle. Lots of love to you & your fabulous mom (sending special angel thoughts to those tootsies of yours)

Tweedles -- that's me said...

And didn't everyone say- expect a miracle?
Happy tears for Walter- happy tears for Heather,
love
tweedle

Smushie Ranch said...

Wow Heather, I'm just sitting here with Stella on one side, Gunther on the other and Betty in my lap and I'm bawling with joy about Walter!

You are an amazing Pug mom and an even more amazing person for making the journey to Key West to start a new life for yourselves to help Walter. How wonderful that he could give you a glimmer of what is to come... Congratulations.

Love,
Shannon and the Gang

Apollo said...

OMGosh! That is AWESOME! My Mommy has tears in her eyes. I'm so happy for you both! That is GREAT news!

Carrie said...

Good job Wally! I'm tearing up at the wonderful news. You keep it up, little man! We're all very, very proud of you! We knew you could do it!

Miss Mya said...

I check Walter's blog everyday, waiting for new updates. Each time a new blog posts, and there is even the slightest improvement I am always brought to tears. I am so happy Walter and you both are doing well and enjoying Florida. Keep up the great work! GO WALTER!

The Devil Dog said...

That is just fantastic. We are so happy for Walter, and for you. We will continue to send Walter and you all our positive thoughts and energy.

Roxy & Lucky

pugsx4 said...

These's magic in those Keys. Kudos to you for having the guts to up and move Walter to a better place.
Love to you both, Kim

Mr. Pickles said...

So happy for you and Wally! Both of you are fighters and it shows with Walters continued improvements. He's a miracle and Heather, you are a miracle worker : )
BTW, read your 'Pretty Little Mistakes' on vacation. It was the perfect beach read!

Winston Wilbur said...

OMD Mum is bawling! hang on I have to gets her a tissue. Ok now that is some terrific news there Wally. We are super proud and happy. Your Momma is super persistent and does not give up easily. We are convinced that you will walk normally again.

3 cheers for both of you!

Winston

Jennifer Sneed said...

Awwww, Walter...you are so amazing. Heather I admire your love and dedication for Walter, I am the same way with my Maxwell. I would move across the country for him too. And I am sure that you are both loving Florida! I am so happy for Walters steps on his own. He is the miracle pug. You being an amazing pug mom is enough payment for Maxwell and I, but we both hope you enjoyed your margarita too.

hugs and kisses,
jen and maxwell

Punchbugpug said...

Walter will be - because you believe! Glad you escaped the ugly weather and are able to relax, do his therapy, and walk in the sunshine!

Melissa said...

Aww Wally, you trooper! That is FANTASTIC NEWS!!!

We knew you could do it!

Anonymous said...

oh wow!! :) Yay for Wally and Yay for you!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Walter! We are sooooo excited for you! You go boy... keep on pugglin around on your sweet lil foot. Yippee! Party at my desk right now ...

**Whoof whoof** says Abby Grace
**Raaff Raff** says Lilypug

:)